Do you feel that your feet are tied to wheels? Do you feel that a 9-5 routine is too harsh for you? Do you want to move out, live your life and work at the same time? Do you wish to work in the hours you want, be it in the morning or in the evening? Of course, you cannot ignore work. That is going to bring the pennies you need to live the life you deserve. If the answers to all these questions are yes, then you are an aspiring digital nomad for sure.
Now, who is a digital nomad?
It is contemporary term, which has become prevalent only in recent times, i.e. the time of the internet. This is because digital nomads depend on the online media for their daily earnings. Yes, several sites all around the web give remuneration to these travelers for their rich experiences so as to motivate others who feel the same. All of us are not made for routine work and people who are creative enough to lead a nomadic life lacks proper motivation to kick start this career as it involves a lot of risks. These young people need the right motivation and the experienced digital nomads can provide that. Hence, their works are of crucial importance and are paid adequately. But, these people are not only bloggers or content marketers. The digitally nomadic people can also be web designers and developers or something entirely different. In short, they are freelancers, with the energy to travel around the globe and work at the same time. You get motivated, you work and you earn and travel at the same time. Live your life to the fullest. And that is exactly what being a digital nomad is all about.
How to become a digital nomad?
Now that you know the meaning of the term, you may be looking for ways to become one. That is the main motive behind reading this post, right? Knowing what it is and how to become one of them - a free bird with a constant resource to maintain a luxurious lifestyle without compromising on your basic nature. However, let's be clear about one thing first. Being a digital nomad is anything but easy. The following points will tell you why:
- You will not have a guaranteed income but live on bread crumbs at the beginning of your new life,
- You may face a lot of difficulties adjusting to your nomadic lifestyle at first. However, that is going to be okay later on as you start tasting the sweetness of it all.
- As you start earning from your freelancing career, you will have to make a lot of arrangements to spend it wisely. And if you are changing nations, you will have to find ways of securing the money you are earning.
- And then when everything starts working fine, you get the "ting" of alarm bell for relationship. Being a digital nomad is not favorable for a healthy relationship, be it with your family or spouse. You need to move from one place to another and sometimes from one country to another. You understand the problem? For many people out there, long distance relationships do not work. "Ding! Ding! Ding!" That sounds like alarm.
In spite of the adversities mentioned above, the moving life is quite fun. Because:
- You do not have a camera to watch your every action or
- A bio-metric to keep track of your in time and out time.
- You will be responsible for your own fortune as well as misfortune.
- You will have no one to blame you or boss you
- You will work as and when you please and the most important thing of all,
- You will have ample time at your hand to do the things you love most, be it traveling, sports, singing, writing a book, anything.
What you have to do is follow these simple steps:
- At first, write a letter to your boss, negotiating with him/her to give you four days a week working contract. If they agree, i.e. if you have a good rapport with your boss, you can work from home for the rest of the days, travel and take your laptop wherever you go. There, you become a digital nomad almost instantly.
- If they don't, with all good wishes, serve the notice period and in the meanwhile look for freelance careers on the web. You will get umpteen sites to choose from but all are not reliable or even suitable for you. You have to make an intelligent choice that you are not going to regret later on.
- Or, the best thing is to start your own blog. Write about your traveling experiences. It is going to be time consuming and costly at the same time. But blogs are the best thing these days. You may become an idol for millions of people living with the frustration of a 9-5 routine job.
No matter what decision you take, make sure you know what you are doing. If you don't take your own time and ask people about it. Take their suggestions. Sometimes, learning from others' experiences is the best thing you can do to enhance your life. All the very best to you!